Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
The_Dash_Ireland
The_Dash_Ireland
Admin

A Grading of NXT TakeOver: New York (April 5, 2019) Empty A Grading of NXT TakeOver: New York (April 5, 2019)

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:15 pm
NXT Tag Team Championship Match: War Raiders (c) vs. Ricohet and Aleister Black
Result: War Raiders retain.
NXT matches never disappoint nowadays as superstar performance in this division surpasses that of the performances on both Monday Night Raw and SmackDown Live. Since this was Aleister and Ricochet's last match on NXT before permanently moving to the main roster, I'm granting some leniency. It wasn't the best NXT match I had come to see, it still had many of its moments. I felt it was slow at the beginning, but it started to pick up in the second half. Unfortunately, I feel like the match still left something to be desired. I also feel like Ricochet could have done a little better. Don't get me wrong, Ricochet is a talented wrestler and is talented in his own right. However, I thought his movement was a little slowed down. I could be wrong. Either way, it was a decent match that was main roster-worthy.
Grade: B
NXT North American Championship Match: Matt Riddle vs. Velveteen Dream (c)
Result: Velveteen Dream retains
Any match with Velveteen Dream is a match with tons of excitement. Velveteen Dream is a WrestleMania-caliber superstar who could headline shows all on his own. This was also my first time watching Matt Riddle in action. Riddle didn't disappoint either and what he was capable of doing thoroughly surprised me. It certainly was a match that keeps you on your toes wondering who it is that will take home the title. While the match wasn't on for long, it was long enough that it managed to do the job of entertaining viewers everywhere. As well, the crowd was all over this match going nuts. Crowd interaction plays into some of the critique as it also measures the investment of those who are right then and there. You get my point, it was an awesome match that was fun to watch.
Grade: A
WWE UK Championship Match: Pete Dunne (c) vs. WALTER
Result: WALTER wins
The match was slow moving start to finish. Some of us here at Broad Culture felt that the match was a bit boring. It had some hard hits between the competitors, but it could possibly  be considered not the best match of the night. I wasn't that invested in this match as I was with the first 2 which led to a half-baked surprise that WALTER became the new WWE UK Champion. There's really not much else I could say without straight-up dumping on the match.
Grade: C
Fatal 4-Way Match for the NXT Women's Championship: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Kairi Sane vs. Bianca Belair vs. Io Shirai
Result: Shayna Baszler retains
This match had a lot of hype to it as 4 women in one ring has so much potential to be an excellent match. The women's division never ceases to amaze as the female superstars continue to surpass many male superstars in talent and match quality. Tonight, all 4 contenders were showcased excellently to make sure that no matter the result, each person came out strong. I believe it was the right decision to have Shayna to retain as I feel Bianca is not yet suited to hold the title yet. As much as I love Kairi Sane, there's another opportunity she can have with Io Shirai for the Women's tag team division. In addition to this, Shayna retaining defeated some expectations of Shayna losing the title again. All in all, the booking, performance, and outcome of this match was supreme.
Grade: A-
2-Out-of-3 Falls Match for the NXT Championship: Johnny Gargano vs. Adam Cole
Result: Johnny Gargano wins the NXT Championship
This match had a slow build that was worth the while. Gradually, it got ever crazier. What I enjoyed the most is how Adam and Johnny kept trying to kill each other and you never know exactly when the match is even going to end. Johnny Gargano and Adam Cole are in the same class as Velveteen of WrestleMania-caliber superstars. You think you know what's gonna happen, but the supreme performance of this match turns you upside down. I would definitely consider this the match of the night. NXT never disappoints with their main event matches for TakeOver. A great performance that showcased two of the best wrestlers today.
Grade: A+
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum