Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
The_Dash_Ireland
The_Dash_Ireland
Admin

The Absurdity of 6+ Member Groups Empty The Absurdity of 6+ Member Groups

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:24 am
Now before you begin the hate parade in response to this article, realize I'm not talking about Slipknot. Well maybe I will, but you'll understand why I made this article. Mainly I will be discussing how groups with 6 or more members could be toxic for musicianship.

First, I'm gonna start out with the realm of the genre of k-pop. You got groups like BTS, Twice, Momoland, and even IZ*ONE. However, I really think that the amount of members they have is problematic to the roles as artists. Oftentimes in 9-member groups like Twice and Momoland, there's not enough time to write lines for all members to show off their talents. Itzy is better off because they have 5 members who all have enough time to show just what they can do. That was expressed at their debut which became a large success. Oftentimes, the writers of the songs can also use favoritism. That being said, people you like don't really get too many chances or time. And when you combine the simultaneous use of singing and dancing, people get the idea that members can't sing due to how the live performances are. I think that's because Korea is harsher on visuals for their performers. Oftentimes people would think that this comes straight out of 1984. I mean, it kind of does, but we're not here to diss on pop music like I usually would. Here, I'm only talking about problems associated with too many members in one group.

Let's get back into the rock and metal genres, mainly the popular bands known as the Foo Fighters (a personal favorite), and Slipknot. The Foo Fighters have 6 members. When you have too many members in a rock band, talents can either be overshadowed or just plain unnecessary. I love the Foo Fighters, but I'm really a critic of Pat Smear's placement in the band. I don't really see much use for a third guitarist. In my opinion, 2 guitars is enough. It's simple, a lead and a rhythm gives great structure to a song. A second rhythm guitar doesn't exactly do much at all. I don't know too much of Rami Jaffee, but I also don't see how he fits into the members equation. I will give him leniency, however, since he pulls off some great tones in the songs, yet you probably never knew that he's been working with the band since Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace. It was only in 2017's Concrete and Gold that he was officially made a member.

Onto Slipknot. People are touchy about one of the biggest heavy metal bands of the modern era. I can't rant that they're an 9-member band considering Chris Fehn just left because a bunch of drama that I think is stupid. You're not supposed to be in music for the money. If you are, then it's all the wrong reasons. Back on topic. While they do make some great songs like Killpop, AOV, and sic, some of the members that make the 9-piece feel unnecessary to me. I don't mind Sid Wilson since he helped make Before I Forget such a banger of a tune. While Shawn Crahan's bat-swinging, keg-hitting shenanigans are comical, I'm kind of critical of why it's necessary to the song. Aside from that, I'm just not a fan of 3 percussionists. I think there should really be 1, and only a second fore necessary moments. If I'm choosing any percussionist to be the one who stays, it's Joey Jordison. Unfortunately, he left the band before .5 The Gray Chapter due to health issues that required him to do so. So, in his place is the just-as-able and quite talented Jay Weinberg. I got no beef with Mick Thompson, Alessandro Venturella, or Jim Root. Obviously, Corey Taylor is essential or else Slipknot would be nothing.

Putting stuff like this and other things I can't quite say or explain clearly, you gotta ask yourself, "Is the large amount of members really necessary for the structure of the music itself and not just the visuals?"
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum